Digital technology has witnessed an increase in the use of cloud computing (away from the more traditional on-premise set up) and Human Capital Management is no exception. Frontier Software HR and Payroll applications can be installed on your network, on your own private cloud or hosted by us at our high security data centre.
Moving to the Cloud
Cloud software advantages
- Anywhere and anytime access – Access your application software anytime and anywhere via a web browser
- Affordable – One annual payment covering maintenance of software and hardware including application of all upgrades and daily back-ups
- Stress free IT – We manage the infrastructure and the platforms on which the applications run, making it available when needed without the worry of how it all works
- High level of security – A data centre employs rigorous security measures, so data is often safer in the cloud than on a server at your office
- Rapid deployment – Software is rapidly deployed over the Internet to all devices
- Help the environment – reduce your environmental footprint by decreasing energy consumption and waste
Is there a downside?
- Connectivity – Cloud solutions require reliable Internet access for you to remain productive
- Long-term costs – Using the cloud can be more costly over the life of your system, potentially increasing the total cost of ownership
On premise deployment
On premise advantages
- Life time costs – User licence fees are a one off cost so an on-premise solution can have a lower Total Cost of Ownership than one in the cloud
- Complete control – You’re in control of the hardware and software platforms and decide on the configuration, upgrades and system changes
- Uptime – With an on-premise system, you are not relying on internet connectivity or external factors to access your software
What’s the downside?
- Larger upfront cost – On-premise systems require a larger upfront cost in the form of a software licence fee
- IT Responsibility – You are responsible for maintaining server hardware and software, data backups, storage and disaster recovery. This can be a real issue if you have limited budgets and technical resources
- Longer implementation times – On-premise implementations take longer due to the time needed to complete installations on servers
Cloud vs. on-premise
The attraction of a cloud solution is not only the improved ease of operation, but also the potential to reduce IT support costs. However, for some organisations, keeping sensitive data on-premise means peace of mind when it comes to security. Every organisation has different requirements that can influence the choice of deployment strategy for their Human Capital Management solution.
Here are a few questions you may like to consider:
- Can you afford the higher upfront investment required for an on premise solution?
- Do you have the right tools in place to ensure top level security for sensitive data?
- Have you the required resources for upgrades, back-up and disaster recovery plans?
- Is it important for you to have immediate access to the latest functionality and compatibility updates?